Home Forums General Discussion How to apply ICH Q1E shelf life extrapolation before 6m timepoint

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all

I’m currently running a stability study for an IMP and have just completed the 3 month time point, with no significant change at either long term (25 C/60 %RH) or accelerated condition (40 C/75 %RH). Under EMA IMPD guidance a shelf life of 12 months can be assigned based on positive 3 month accelerated data.

My question is on how to apply ICH Q1E shelf life. The first point of the decision tree is whether there has been a significant change at accelerated within 6 months, but we haven’t yet reached 6 month testing. Can any extrapolation be performed at this time point based on this study’s data only?

Many thanks for your time.

John O’Neill

Hello Snicket,
    While the timing of this response is well past your immediate need, a question that popped up at a Stability Statistics seminar yesterday, put me in mind of your topic. When you are not yet to the first Q1E waypoint, it is not unusual to obtain permission to enter a clinical investigation with 3 months of satisfactory data for a provisional 6 month expiry and a promise that 6 months will be obtained. If there is not a lot of data to be confident in the 6 month result, then other monthly points can be inserted to build confidence. Depending on your region, a lot of re-labeling for a changing shelf-life could be involved. As always, you are a team of Stability, Quality Assurance and Regulatory. Be sure that you assemble a solid justification, document your decision and approval and then start working with the authorities. Further comment by StabilityHub subscribers are welcome.
    Best regards,
    John O’Neill

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.